Re: [NTLK] loosing me

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 22:15:54 EDT

Barb,

Please don't give up. You'll get it working very soon!

In another email (off-list), you asked various questions about the HSCSD
supporting login script that I sent you (also off-list). Lets leave that to
one side for a while since your priority is to get a basic data connection
working, no matter what speed.

Please forgive me if some of the points below are rather obvious!

1. Disable the "Require PIN" feature of your GSM SIM, using your phone.
2. Put the SIM in the Card Phone 2.0 (it is a 2.0 isn't it?).
3. Download and install Scrawlsoft's PT100
(http://www.scrawlsoft.com/products/pt100/info.html)
4. Download and install Christian Fiutak's Card Phone modem setup
(http://www.fiutak.de/newton/index.html)
5. With the Card Phone inserted in the Newton, use PT100 to talk to it.
Create a "direct serial session" PT100 session, with the PT100 session
serial port set to the appropriate PCMCIA port. Connect and then type:

AT&F <return> (restore the "factory" configuration)
ATE1 <return> (turns on echo)
ATDTyourISPnumber (dials)

(If, at this point, you get "ERROR" returned, then you probably do need a
PIN. In that case, type:

AT+CPIN="yourPIN" <return> (quotes necessary)

before the ATDT).

After a short delay, you should get:

CARRIER

and after a further short delay:

CONNECT 9600

If that doesn't work, come back to me. If it does, great!

6. Exit PT100 and, using the Newt's "Internet Setup" application, create a
suitable configuration for your ISP. You'll need info like the addresses of
the DNS servers and your login and password as well as the access number.
Set the "Modem Settings" in this configuration to Christian's Card Phone
setup mentioned above.

7. If it turns out that you do need a PIN (some GSM carriers do not allow
the PIN to be deactivated), use modem modifier to add +CPIN="yourPIN"
(quotes necessary) to the modem initialization strings in Christian's Card
Phone setup.

8. Start an Internet application (e.g. NetHopper, NewtScape or SimpleMail),
connect and watch it dial!

Good luck,

Simon