[NTLK] An eBay eMate with no touch screen response!

From: Richard Harbottle (r.harbottle_at_ic.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 17:29:13 EDT

Well, I bought an eMate from eBay. It was cheap and of course (sadly) the
seller says it's fine but "sold as seen". Mark Ross from NuShield has
provided me with his fantastic "forwarding" service and has taken possession
of my eMate before sending it onwards to the UK. Mark says the machine is in
great condition but, there is no response from the screen to touch. I guess
that this poor machine is suffering from the hinge-spring-through-the
-display-cable trauma. So, should I continue and have Mark send it onwards
to "Europe" ? Is there a hope that I could fix the cable and restore its
stylus sensitivity? Or, should I give up and face the fact that my new
translucent baby is not worth the shipping costs?
I will follow the advice of the crowd.