Re: [NTLK] Wired Newton Article Out

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 00:49:23 EDT

Knowledge is like currency. It does you no good and
has no value if you do distribute it around!
If you know something, you can strengthen you position
personally and as a person who knows something. If
someone notices that you have knowledge that you are
willing to share, they will inform others and those
will come to you for a share in your knowledge. So,
from a completly selfish standpoint, your value rises.
Supply and demand! The payback may not be immediate,
but remember, knowledge is shared...sharing works both
ways. Those who take and don't reciprocate are usually
not shared with again.
Knowledge that is not shared is only information...it
has no to others. Information that is shared is
knowledge and a perceived value to others.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jason Knight <burningchrome98_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Philip Bennett <pbnt_at_mac.com> wrote:
<snip>
> we do. "How could someone do work and give it away?
> Why help someone who
> is having a technical problem when you had to work
> hard to figure it out
> yourself? RTFM!" This is the attitude I run into all
> the time when trying
> to explain why a group of like minded individuals
> (like the Newton and
> Linux community) gather together online to discuss,
> assist and develop for
> something they believe in. So, all I can say is cut
> them some slack,
> educate them and try to be a bridge between what
> they understand and what
> you know. [steps off soap box]

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party