Re: [NTLK] OS X utils

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 00:58:00 EDT

on 29/08/02 22:25, Aaron Zinman at azinman_at_ucsd.edu wrote:

> Hello, I'm a new Newton user myself. I've so far read that there is no
> utils for syncing/docking for OS X. Now up-to-date had a demo for
> classic in its old version, but I don't know if it supports it in its
> new and it doesn't matter because I'm guessing I cannot upload/download
> files to the newton anyway in it. I notice that there is open source
> software for *nix to do this, so wouldn't it be possible to port that
> to OS X? Either using straight up commandline/xfree86 interfaces
> (depending on the package), or taking the code and slapping a
> carbon/cocoa end on it? I haven't received my serial dongle yet (it's
> on its way), so I can't sync yet, but when I do would anyone be
> interested in helping me write this? I haven't looked at any code out
> there yet, so perhaps its easy enough for me to do, or maybe not. Does
> anyone also know if Apple is planning on having an SDK for the upcoming
> iSync so that a Newton sync is possible, or are they only going to
> support the devices that they create modules for?

You're never going to get any help, or anything else for that matter, from
Apple. They did can the Newton 4 years ago and they don't care about its
installed user base or anything else. They started using some parts of the
Newton OS in the latest OS X release, but that's pretty much it.

I'm sorry to say, but you're pretty much on your own with this. Further, if
you want to use the built-in dock on the Newton, you'll need to
reverse-engineer the "Desktop Integration Libraries" that Apple did provide
initially for the classic Mac OS. Those library lets your application
establish a secure connection with the Newton using some DES key. So, unless
you can discover what the libraries reply when the Newton asks its mystery
question, you won't be able to get a connection with the Dock.

Last I've heard, somebody apparently was about to find a solution to the
problem, but I haven't heard yet from the people working on a DIL
replacement.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.