Re: [NTLK] Reactions to Wired Article * from Muniz and Schau

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 13:26:54 EDT

Mr. Muniz and Ms. Schau,

I think that the negative reaction some are having, myself included, with
the results of your study have more to do with the fact that we, as a group,
were being studied for the purpose of publication *without* our explicit
knowledge or permission than with your specific observations/conclusions.

Although our listserv is a semi-public forum for assistance and discussion
of the Newton, there is a considerable amount of discussion of off-topic
issues that is generally considered to be "among friends". A large core of
the participants have been in attendance for years, and are very familiar
("friends") with other group members, both new and old. And, generally,
"friends" do not compile these types of discussions for statistical or
psychological analysis, particularly for publication. Friends tend to
accept them at face value and move on to the next topic, whatever that may
be. The list members tend to think of these discussions as internal to the
group.

Therefore, the reaction to discovering that we are "being observed",
measuring our "consumer behaviors/modalities", and this is to be the subject
of an academic publication that is cited in the commercial media...well...to
say that I feel somewhat violated is an understatement. I think that the
collective consciousness that someone might be in the background measuring
our responses will color future interaction in this forum in a negative way,
a sad development.

Had you been up-front and announced to the group your intentions, and the
time-frame for your study, this might have been avoided, but...

Regards,

Gary