[NTLK] Newton Fund

From: Marcus Hilderbrand (marcus.hilderbrand_at_excite.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 20:43:22 EST

 Hey all, The fund sounds cool!!! but will this just keep the newton's we all have know, and love alive? or since this device was made by apple will the fund once going work on apple to get them to release the NOS code and copyrighted materials required for further system development? If the answer is no then what is the use of a fund except to keep the ones we have alive and funnel money into a cause that will over time and in the end be a big money hole? If in the future the fund help to further development then I'm all for it! It would be so cool to have a new newton. I know that there are ways to make new newtons. maybe they won't run the exact same system but if the system is extracted from the "ROM's" then the code could be decompiled and recompiled into a new NOS that would in the end be burnedto a rom and put into new hardware and then we could run all the old software that we know and love! maybe that would be after it all becomes free or vaporware or whatever but I've been saying for years tha
t someone ought to make a new newton but no one will step up and take on the challange... we've replaces the screens and modded them to death what else can we do with them? I feel that we need a new newton and I have ideas of what would make them killer devices and if all newton lovers here on the list got funds together then I bet we all could be part of the process and make a new killer company based on this device that could run all newton software and palm software... the only software that also should be run on it in some form would be the pocket PC software and then it would be a killer device that has the best of all worlds. Yet my worst fears are already realizedin that I doubt there will ever be a rebirth of the newton which saddens me. We should all consider a rebirth of the newton into the PDA market before it dies totally.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html