Re: [NTLK] A quick moment of your time for some ethernet help?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 01:41:03 EST

on 05/12/02 00:21, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> And the only way around this is to either do internet
> sharing (it's built in on XP and Windows 2000. I don't
> know about the Mac) Or you can use your desktop as an
> internet interface and use it as a Proxy. This is
> probably the easiest way (I never learned how to use
> the built-in proxy software)
> Another way around this is to have two Network cards
> in your desktop and create two zones, (subnets) an
> internal and a WAN side. This will give you the
> flexibility of being able to build out your home
> network easier. Your router or hub will perform DHCP
> for you.
> Ed
> web/gadget guru
> come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
> http://65.84.243.167
>
> --- Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> on 03/12/02 21:33, Matt Freeman at
>> freemanmatt_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm attempting to connect my 2100 to a DSL line
>> through a 3Com 3c589C card.
>>> I suspect I'm missing a fundamental element of the
>> installation, because I'm
>>> pretty sure I'm doing some of it right.
>>>
>>> 1. I downloaded the Farallon and appropriate 3com
>> patch.
>>> 2. Installed it on Ned (my Newt).
>>> 3. Inserted the ethernet card, and created a new
>> setup based on "generic".
>>> Chose DHCP, and tapped on card. Sure enough, the
>> card showed up just fine.
>>>
>>> When I run Nethopper, it says "connecting" and "
>>> but then an error comes up "error: -60088".
>>>
>>> What am I forgetting? As well, where do I input
>> my account name and
>>> password for my local DSL service?
>>
>> First, you never mentioned that you did install all
>> packages from the
>> 'Newton Internet Enabler' 2.0. Assuming you did,
>> since you report your card
>> showing up, if your DSL provider is like mine
>> (Verizon), they're using
>> PPPoE, or Point-to-Point-Protocol-Over_Ethernet,
>> which isn't supported on
>> the Newton.
>>
>> -Laurent.
>> --

Why not using an Ethernet router/gateway? Linksys has the 4 ports,
non-wireless for around $50. You just plug it to your cable/DSL modem, and
then connect your computers to it and it works. The default configuration is
set to make it a DHCP server. If you need PPPoE, you just launch your
preferred web browser, connect to it, set your user ID and password, save
your configuration and you're done.

-Laurent.

geek n.: A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia. Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves - and some who are in fact hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they (quite properly) regard `hacker' as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.