Re: [NTLK] Newton R&D

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 13:54:49 EST

Paul wrote (and quoted Andrew):
> >Yeah, too small... Fear that in writing I would run my=20
> stylus off the=20
> >edge and stab myself in the leg. But I suppose I could=20
> always bite the=20
> >bullet and write smaller (come to think of it my handwriting fits 2=20
> >words per line max with portrait)!
>=20
> Wow. Brian's last message is interesting regarding this issue.

        and

> Yes and no. If we port NewtonOS on top of a Unix, especially=20
> something as portable as NetBSD, it would warrant a large support on=20
> a large set of hardware. Of course, such a project has to be open=20
> source.

        Speaking as someone who's always wished the "big" newton had
come to pass, one of the lighter tablet computers would make an
interesting platform for a NOS port/emulator. You'd get the bigger
screen (potentially, if the OS was patched to support it), plus tablet
computers typically have more computing power than PDAs, making the
emulator run faster. You'd of course lose it all in battery life... ;-)

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 60:
My five-year-old child advisor will also be asked to decipher any code I
am thinking of using. If he breaks the code in under 30 seconds, it will
not be used. Note: this also applies to passwords.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html