Re: [NTLK] Happy Hacking Keyboard (was: Re: OT: PalmOS-based AlphaSmart Dana)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 07:50:17 EST

on 11/30/02 5:00 PM, Randy & Cheyanne at charan_at_centurytel.net wrote:

> What we need is for someone to write a serial driver to use the
> newt's keyboard with the Duos (or other Apple computers for that
> matter :-). I use a happy hacking keyboard
> <http://www.pfuca.com/products/products.html> with my iBook and it's
> very similar to the newton keyboard in size and key arrangement.

Sorry for the long delay. I've been mulling your suggestion over... :-)

I like that idea, the more I think about it! If only somebody who knew how
to write this stuff were willing. The problem is that serial is dead on the
Mac. I can't imagine someone being willing to take the time to write a
serial driver for the Newton that work only on older Macs. :-(

As for the HHK, I like it! I haven't seen a control key in that position in
ages! I used to use a pseudo IBM compat that had the control key there, and
the terminals I used to use at work had that. With the control key there,
WordStar was a pleasure to use. :-)

Anyway, back to the Newton keyboard, is there anyone who can give an
informed answer as to whether this is possible or not? It would be useful to
me, as I could plug it into my two Duos with dead keyboards. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland