Re: [NTLK] Siemens s45 and Newton

From: Till (till_k_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 19:02:21 EST

>I have some troubles with connecting my Siemens s45 phone to Newton. I
>bought (not original) Data Cable for this phone, it terminates with
>PC-style DB-9 connector. This cable works fine with Windows PC I have
>at work, I can update firmware, browse internal storage of this phone
>and connect to it using Hyperterminal in Windows (phone responses to AT
>and ATi commands).To connect this phone to a Newton I wanted to replace
>its' DB9 plug with MiniDIN8, so I cut the cable and tried to solder
>MiniDIN8 there. I found only 3 wires in this cable which go to Ground,
>Rx and Tx on the phone as I figured out from Siemens connector pinout
>found on the web. I tried different combinations of wiring (starting
>from obvious Rx->Tx, Tx->Rx, then reverse, then lots of others) but
>could not make this connection to work - I check with PT100 and phone
>never answer AT command. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to
>shorten/ground/ anything some pins in MiniDin connector (I tried some
>variants...)? I believe that I'll be able to make connection with
>intact cable (DB9 at the end) and Mac modem cable but I want to keep
>cabling at minimum and would like to have straight Phone to Dongle
>connection.
>
>Anton Balaban

Hi Anton,

judging from what I=B4ve learned, you should resolder the DB-9 plug and
use it in combination with a DB-9-to-MiniDIN-8 adapter or Mac modem
cable. There=B4s probably some extra circuitry in the DB-9 plug. There
is no way around it unless you buy a Siemens-to-MiniDIN-8 cable
(available from www.novamedia.de or www.ubicom.de, about 70 Euros
including shipping within Germany, I do not know if they ship
internationally).

HTH
Till

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html