Re: [NTLK] What's new?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 22:52:45 EST

on 10/12/02 22:35, Thomas Tempelmann at listuser_at_tempel.org wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just subscribed again for a while after a year or two.
>
> I'd like to catch up with recent news. Is there a web page listing the
> important things that happen in the Newton world?
>
> If not, here's what I'm interested to know about - perhaps someone can
> tell me:
>
> - What about Paul's Flashcard driver. Has this finally been coming out of
> the test phase and is actually usable for both reading and writing?
>
> - Paul also worked on his own replacement for Apple's DIL (software to
> interface the Newton's data from a Mac or PC). Did he succeed, especially
> in cracking the Dock's communication start (there was a problem with the
> encryption IIRC)?
>
> - Has there been any new software for synchronizing Newton with PC/Mac in
> the past 2 years? (I had offered my "Newton DIL Tester" to be enhanced by
> others - has anything come out of this?)
>
> - I have a Nokia 6310i phone now, and I also have the IrOBEX stack. The
> Nokia phone supposedly supports IrOBEX, so that I should be able to
> transfer my Names from the Newton to the phone (as vcf's). But it does
> not work: They connect, but then the Newton tries to submit the name
> forever, coming never to an end. Is this a known problem, or a fix
> available?
>
> - What else have I missed in the past 1-2 years? (last thing I remember
> was the development of a Mini-Java engine for the Newton)
>
> Thomas

The ATA driver from Paul is at the 3rd release candidate. It seems to work
better and better with every new version.

On the synchronization side, John Anderson <http://www.everchanging.com/>
has been offering a Mac OS X tool called NewtSync that is currently in beta.
It's sync'ing the address book in Mac OS X and should shortly support iCal.
The application has an opened architecture so Cocoa developers can easily
provide plugins for additional synchronization options.

There's an MP3 player that seems to be working well. It can play streams
over the internet.

Finally, Hiroshi Noguchi did release a 802.11b driver compatible with
AirPort.

And to top it off, we've got news a few days ago from Adam Tow himself that
he started working on his HTML editor and has, actually rewritten it from
scratch.

There has been more and more user groups starting to meet everywhere.

So, the future looks very good!

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage. Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted. See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory smash, overrun screw, core.