Re: [NTLK] What's new?

From: John Del Pizzo (jrd_at_delcannsoftware.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:30:32 EST

> - Has there been any new software for synchronizing Newton with PC/Mac in
> the past 2 years? (I had offered my "Newton DIL Tester" to be enhanced by
> others - has anything come out of this?)

Newtourage (based on your DIL Tester) has been on hold for a while. I was
waiting for MS's Sync API to become available and then for a conflict
between it and RB to be resolved. As of last night (around 2am) those issues
were taken care of. I'm in the process of finishing dates support now. I'll
really get into it next week (after finals) and hope to devote some serious
effort to it before classes resume in mid January. This has been a long time
coming.

I'll leave it to the rest of the list to describe nSync. John Anderson
created a pretty solid OSX/Cocoa connection platform.

> - Paul also worked on his own replacement for Apple's DIL (software to
> interface the Newton's data from a Mac or PC). Did he succeed, especially
> in cracking the Dock's communication start (there was a problem with the
> encryption IIRC)?

Don't know, but I'm interested in this as well. I would really like to make
Newtourage OSX native, but don't want to rewrite everything from scratch.

> - What else have I missed in the past 1-2 years? (last thing I remember
> was the development of a Mini-Java engine for the Newton)

Oh, a lot. But I'll let the various creators of software take credit for
their own work.

John

---
John Del Pizzo