[NTLK] Internet via proxy?

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 19:51:01 EST

Hi people. I'm a much happier person since my nice sniny new MP2100u
arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. Upgrading from the MP120 I
have been using for the last 7 years is quite pleasant - the raw speed
of seaches and the improved accuracy of handwriting being the first
things I have noticed.

However I'd like to get on the net with my new newt, and I seem to be
having a few troubles. First of all when I plug my regular 56k external
modem into my serial cable (via the 9-25 apple adaptor and a gender
bender) my newt cannot talk to it. Do I also need to add a null-modem
cable in there as well? The serial cable links my newt to my PC just
fine.

Failing the ability to connect directly to a modem via the serial port,
I was hoping I might be able to somehow use my PC as a proxy (ie have
the PC connected to the net and somehow pass on IP packets to the newt
via the serial cable.

A third option, and perhaps the most desirable would be to get an
eterrnet adaptor and hook into my home network, which has a modem
server with NAT on it, but I've just blown my budget on the newt itself
for the moment, so a PCMCIA ethernet card will be difficult to pay for
for a while.

Actually for the moment I'd be just as happy to sync my email on the
newt with Pegasus on my PC, if that were somehow possible? But every
email client for the newt that I have seen seems to want to talk
straight to a POP server or its ilk.

SO

I have a newt, serial connection to a PC, the PC has Pegasus mail and
there is an ethernet with a server with NAT available. How can I
proceed? Surely you don't all use your newt for all email and not use
email on the PC as well?

Julian.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html