[NTLK] Noobie/eMate/Jaguar

From: Bill Lockhart (blockhart1_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 12:53:06 EST

HelIo, I'm a long time eMate owner/ new to this list and just wanted
to share some of my recent experiences.
After about two years of being holed up in its original box, I brought
the eMate out the other day with the intent of making it my traveling
word processor.

I had concerns that I could actually do this because I am using an iMac
400DV running Jaguar.

I have the AsanteTalk serial/ethernet adapter but I had no way of
getting NIE onto the eMate. So...
I dug around and found that I had a Keyspan USB/serial adapter.

Long story short...Keyspan wouldn't recognize the eMate running NCU 2.0
so I had to install NCU 1.0 on my iMac and now the iMac and eMate are
best of friends.
I can install packages and so on.

When I launch NCU 1.0 from OS 10.2.2, it in turn, launches the Classic
environment.
I have not tried booting directly into OS 9.2 but I assume this would
work as well.

  The only problem I have now is that when i try to import a text file
from Newton Works I get a message (on the iMac)
that I need to select a printer!? I can import some text files from
Notes but not all of them.
I'm going to work on this later this week.

Now that I can install packages I'm thinking about installing NIE onto
the eMate, the maybe I can use the Asante Talk, thereby hooking the
eMate up to my eternet hub. and from there maybe the internet?

Which brings up my next concern.
when I first bought my eMate I installed Newer Technolgy's eMate memory
module and life was good.
I had plenty of space and I could get eMail and surf web pages(using
NetHopper, i think).
but then the memory module died on me and the only way I could get the
eMate to work again was to remove the memory module.

So, I am back to a "factory" eMate .
Everything seems to be working good and the battery seems to be holding
its charge.
I'm just worried that I won't have enough memory to load everything I
need for web browsing.
I heard that newer Technolgly went out of business. Is this true?
Does anyone else make memory modules for the eMate?
would I be better off getting a memory card?

thanks for listening to my ramblings, but I was just glad to hook up
the eMate to the imac and wanted to let people know it can be done.
(which I'm sure most of you know this already).

Thanks,
Bill Lockhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html