Re: [NTLK] NEW Interconnect Ports !!!

From: pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 14:57:08 EST

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:36:39 -0500 Brian McMillan <brianmcmillan_at_mac.com>
wrote:

> Ok, Here it is....
>
> As we all know, JAE does not produce our
> connectors any more. After
> consulting with the electronics guru at work,
> he managed to pull a
> replacement out from his desk! It is used in
> IBM 600E / X Laptops for
> their external FDDs. Well after ripping the
> case apart and searching on
> the net, the connector is made by MOLEX and in
> production today.

It is NOT the same connector. The only parameter it shares with the JAE
connector is pin pitch (0.039"). I have spent a lot of time searching
manufacturers for this item to no avail.

> Some observations:
> 1) When the connector is plugged into multiple
> Newts (yes, I got mine
> to work Rich) it does wake the machine.

Pin 26 - ProdDockAttach - tie to ground for wake up.

> 2) The pin-outs on the IBM PCB can't be made to
> work for anything we
> need, so a new PCB will need to be made. I
> tried wiring up something to
> those tiny pins and made a total mess of the
> connector. I will be
> contacting MOLEX to see if they produce, or
> know who does, a full
> break-out PCB.

Waste of time.

> 3) The depth of the connector is ~1-2 mm too
> shallow but it appears to
> make contact. I also files down the metal
> shielding to make it fit
> better. I won't know if everything works until
> I can rig up a test
> docking station.

If you gotta mod it, it wasn't meant to fit in the first place.

> 4) The metal retention pins can be pushed
> through the housing and you
> could even remove the metal shielding for a
> better fit.

Uggh!

> 5) does anyone know what pins must be jumped to
> set the System WakeUp?
> I know it is pin 26 but what else is needed?

See above.

> MOLEX INFO
> ===========================
> Web - http://www.molex.com/
>
> P/N - 52629
> Desc. - 1.00 mm Pitch Shielded Receptacle, 26
> pin
>
> P/N - 54397
> Desc. - 1.00mm Pitch Shielded Receptacle, 26
> pin, ultra low profile

Look, if you can wait till Jan then I will have audio dongles available that
use the CORRECT connector. (Don't ask about the source, I can't reveal that
but there will be enough to go around)
These dongles will be professionally made and have additional features not
found on other audio dongles to date. (Ooo! what could that be???)

Details will be available on my website when they are ready.

I applaud your inventiveness Brian, but you are risking a NI disaster by using
these Molex parts.

Regards,

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html