Re: [NTLK] OT: WWW history was I got laid off today

From: J. E. Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 02:00:30 EST

Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Actully Glen I think he does get it, and I think he's making
reference
> to the fact that the World wide Web is not 10 years old....

Hope so ...!

Stil grouses, though to see those job listings that ask for 10 years
experience in a technology you know has only been around for waaaaay
less than that ...! :o\

--gdw

http://www.w3.org/History.html actually, the web is 11 years old.. if you want to really split hairs..

i am dating myself, but, i was using the "web" in the fall of 1991 at Texas A&M University.. albeit, it wasn't a graphical browser.. it was a line browser on a VAX.. it wasn't until around the fall of 1993 that i got to use the graphical browser (Mosaic), it was actually kinda hard to find/get..

ahh, hypertext.. just clean hypertext... and all that CGA pr0n on funet.fu in finland..

so, if you actually have 10 years in, your one of the very first.. (i don't consider myself one, i wasn't in CS.. just tooled around in EE..)

and if it wasn't for NeXT, we wouldn't have what we have today.. i still want a NeXTcube..

jim.

"imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under it's own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)