Re: [NTLK] ATTENTION. Please read this.

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 08:51:48 EST

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Robert Benschop rbenschop_at_euronet.nl
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:03:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [NTLK] ATTENTION. Please read this.

>Err, sorry Victor, but that's not how I read it, he want to keep reading
>NTLK but his only option would be web based.

Oh. Right.

>Now I don't want to saddle you with yet another job, but would the idea of
>a forum in conjunction with the mailing list be a viable option?
>If not it would seem the end of the discussion anyway.

No. This would mean a whole other way would be needed to authenticate forum
users, and I believe would increase the signal-to-noise ratio in the noise
direction. It makes things unnecessarially complicated. How would you
represent the nice threading that forums give you in e-mail? E-mail
(unfortunately) isn't big on threading. It works most of the time. Most
other nice features of forums, like being able to EDIT your posts, also
wouldn't be possible on the e-mail side.

NNTP would be easier, but no one seemed interested when I floated that...

One can totally use the archives to read and reply to messages. Each
message has a link at the top to reply to it.

Actually... this is where the "%26In-Reply-To" problem is coming from!

I should fix that tonight somehow. Time to research mailto: links...

-Victor

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html