[NTLK] Why DashBoard is slow for Victor

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 10:26:08 EST

I swore that I went through this before, but I couldn't find the message in
the archives. Oh well.

On my Newton, for some reason, DashBoard slowed things down by quite a bit.
In particular, launching apps from the button bar, the fly-out menu, the
letter launcher, or even Extras took 3-4 seconds extra. No matter what app I launched, the "busy light-bulb" would appe=
ar at the top of the screen for
at least three seconds before the app actually launched. I finally realized
that it was faster for me to launch an app no matter what folder it was in
by just using Extras - as long as DashBoard was unloaded, Extras was quite
snappy for me (I have a 2100 with a 10MB card). I switched back to i++
(I have licences for all these things, what can I say) which I had used
extensively on my 130, but found myself not really using it.

I have no idea why DashBoard slowed my Newton down so much. I tried my
backup machine, brain wipe/restore cycles, freezing/removing packages, all
kinds of stuff. I have seen it in action on other people's Newtons and it
does usually run quite snappy. It just slowed down my Newton too much.

Don't anyone take this as a bad review of DashBoard: DashBoard is awesome,
and I consider Mason Mark (its author) a demi-god.

-Victor