Re: [NTLK] English dictionary with phonetic spelling / phonetic (old)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 17:34:24 EST

À (At) 9:36 +0100 6/12/02, Robert Benschop écrivait (wrote) :
> > DictMgr is not here to let you use custom package dictionaries (such
>> as DictNL, BR, EE, DK, FR, IT). These packages don't need anything to
>> be used.
>> DictMgr is just there to play with ROM dictionaries (mostly
>> deactivate them)
>
>But if one uses it to (in my case) deactivate the internal, English,
>dictionary so that it uses the Dutch one you tell us that it actually not
>doing anything at that moment?

Er. If you disable the built-in dictionaries, handwriting recognition
and spell checking will not take advantage of them.

>But if I deactivate the ROM dictionary (the English one) I should get an
>advantage out of it, no? (since it will only use the Dutch one in that case)

Yes. You won't get noise from English words.

>Freezing the dictionary package will give you 'just' the English dictionary
>but how can you get the use of just the installed dictionary without
>DictMngr?

You need DictMgr to disable built-in dictionaries. I'm not aware of
any other tool.
To disable a dictionary package, just freeze it.

> > In fact, I would suggest not to install DictMgr if you
> > don't want to have an improved recognition by disabling the ROM
> > dictionaries.
>
>But isn't that exactly what users of custom dictionaries want?

Indeed. But you already get an improved recognition with both
built-in and package dictionaries. Although sometimes I shout on my
Newton for recognizing example instead of exemple (plus alt.rec....
won't tell me if the English dictionary is enabled).

>As an extra remark, since we were discussing spell checkers... ;-)
>
>It turns out that if I turn off the internal dictionary that SAS's SpellMan
>actually uses the Dutch dictionary.
>(I don't know about other spell checkers)

They'll probably all behave the same.
The problem is (in my experience) that I don't change the algorithm
to give alternatives. In particular, the built-in algorithm in
NewtonOS Int'l is particularly ignorant of accents.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/