Re: [NTLK] How to connect 2100 to G4

From: fussili_at_mac.com
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 02:30:09 EST

> Hello.
>
> I just received a Newton 2100 as gift, how do I connect it to my G4
> running OS X?
> What are all the cables I need? Maybe to USB?
> Second, it has an internal battery..... where can I buy the power
> adapter to charge this battery? Can I find an universal one at
> radioshack? what should I look for?
>
> Thanks Jeff

   Lots of fun to be had here...

   Right I'm a bit of a newbie but this much I can certainly do

   What you need is a Serial Adaptor for your G4, a serial cable for your newton
and some software...

   I'll start with the adaptor.. There is a great choice out there, Keyspan
seems to be the public consensus, I use a really odd cable I bought in Hong
Kong but it look so cool with its little flashing red lights and see through
wiring =] (Man I'm sad) plus it has a 9-pin connector.. Most of the time a
simple Mac serial adaptor will do fine

  Now the cable can be easily aquired for your Newt.. I"m going to assume you
didn't get sent the "Serial Interconnect Port" dongle so what you have a Newt
with an interconnect port which no other machine understands (ain't proprietory
hardware great!! ). In order to use a standard Newton serial cable you also
need the dongle.. There are ways around this problem...

1) Buy an SER-01 from Dave Humphreys (http://www.members.tripod.com/mrpcbman/
) - Sadly he's all sold out at the moment
2) Buy a Newton To PC Serial cable.. This gives you, on one end a 9-pin Serial
cable, on the other a Newton Interconnect Port plug *Heavenly choir* Which
means no need for the Dongle, you just need a 9pin to USB serial adaptor =
]
3) Buy a dongle because your going to need one anyway in the near future and
a normal Newton serial cable =]

   Right.. Next is hardware and boy are you in luck

   On OSX there is not only a Very capable package installer for your Newton
buddy (Newten) but also if you are one of the fortunates with Jaguar you can
use nSync (yes, it really is as good as it sounds haha!) to act like iSync
for all your contacts and I think iCal and shove them onto your Newton and
vice versa, real quality stuff! Seriously!
  You can get most Newton applications from UNNA which is a big archive of
all things Newt: http://www.unna.org
   nSync can be obtained from www.everchanging.com .

  Best of luck with your Newting and post again if you have any queries =]

   John Swaine
http://www.plastic-rabbit.co.uk

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html