Re: [NTLK] Newton and Windows compatibility

From: Robin Ropke (robin_at_ropke.com)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 15:41:40 EST

Hey Steve!

I am runnign into most of the same issues you describe, I am also running XP
and Windows 2000. After a long break, I picked up a MP120 a few weeks ago
(and have others coming, including a 2100, via eBay) and immediately
attepted to do the same thing, get them to connect. I ran into the exact
same issue you did with NCU, it connects, starts to backup, then dumps to
disconnected status. Newton Package Loader also failed. I have a PowerPC (an
older 5620) and it connected just fine, so my first work-around was taking
packages off the internet, burning them to CD, then loading them into the
newt from the mac (the mac is not connected to the internet). Not at all
convenient. After a few days of fiddling, I can now upload packages with 80%
success using Newton Package Installer 2 from Windows. To transfer notes
back and forth, I use Sloup 1.x on the newton side and Winslurp on the PC.
That works pretty consistently. I have not tried the slowdown utility you
mention.
I agree, for a simple serial device I am not understanding why connecting to
the newts is so difficult. Maybe someone needs to write an optimized NCU
specifically for newer machines? Seems the problem lies with the serial
drivers.

Rob