Re: [NTLK] Newt Was Stolen!

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 11:57:33 EST

David Golden <ikondave599_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I used to live in Philadelphia. My car windows were smashed with
> depressing regularity. All of us in the neighborhood made a point of
> never leaving ANYTHING of any value in the passenger compartment
where
> it could be seen. I even had a radio that I could remove from the
> dashboard and store in my trunk.

I feel the original poster's pain on the break-in.

A couple years ago, someone smashed the window of my Acurua with a
rock (missed once and hit the door; left a dent!). They got away with
all of my CDs (at the time, I had about 100), the box my cell phone
came in (the cell phone was in the house; in the box was an electric
shaver), an ashtray full of change (hey, I don't smoke; gotta use that
ashtray for something!) and a whole box of blank checks.

Neeldess to say, I closed the account associated with the checks as
soon as I found they were gone -- yet I still got charged for the
things they bought.

> Even though I now live in an area with very little crime, I still
take
> great pains to camoflouge any items that I don't tale with me.

Ditto ....

> Any chance that your insurance company will help? Be sure to file a
> report with the police. You never know when things might turn up.

My insurance policy specifically said it didn't cover the contents of
the car, so I was pretty much screwed there -- but that didn't bother
me; those missing checks and CDs did --! Two years later and I'm
still trying to replace some of the CDs I had ... and I'm sure the $15
or so dollars they spent at Taco Time and the other things they wrote
checks for still are showing up on my credit report ....

> Good luck.

Yup. On the plus side, if you registered your Newton with Apple, they
will have a record of it ... and I think the police know to bounce the
serial numbers of recovered items off of Apple's Big List o' Serial
Numbers.

Not much help, but .....

> Dave

--gdw