[NTLK] Newton backup files - Newton only?

From: Dave's Newton (davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:23:12 EST

>You're correct in your assumption that a Newton backup can only be
read by a
>Newton. Some people made attempt to read the backup files, but AFAIK,
nobody
>really succeeded in easily extracting info from the backup. I know of
one
>person which, I think, was able to salvage some information from a
backup
>file, but it's not trivial.

I think it's interesting to note that there's really no reason why a
Newton backup file can't be read by other systems. I mean, at the end
of the day, the file is still just a bunch of 1's and 0's (though the
PC and MAC versions will be exactly opposite I think) - all a good
programmer needs to know is the layout (or structure) of the file and
bingo. But of course, that's information that I doubt anyone will be
getting their hands on anytime soon.

Just a thought to ponder...

Dave
Sent from the BeOS