Re: [NTLK] A Blast from the Past (Somewhat OT)

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 09:06:58 EST

> From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
> Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 8:30:11 EST
> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] A Blast from the Past (Somewhat OT)
>

>> Odd how more than 18 months later this still rings true for the most part.
>> Given the recent ('iWalk') furor one would think that anyone at Apple with a
>> modicum of intelligence would maybe get some small bit of the hint.
>
> Much as I'd like nothing better than to see a new Apple Handheld device (or
> something that more closely approximates the functionality of the MessagePad);
> let's be realistic: if Apple saw an opportunity to produce a handheld
> device to
> compete with the Palm OS and Windows CE devices, and make a profit doing so, I
> have no doubt they'd be in that market. That the company isn't is most
> likely not
> due to stupidity (or for the other standard-issue Steve-Jobs-hates-handhelds
> reasons that people are quick to assume), but to good business sense.
>
> Apple is much better off than it was in the late 1990s; maintining
> profitability (even
> in these difficult times), producing innovative products, and slowly
> expanding into
> different product lines. But there's virtually no room to compete in the
> handheld
> market right now; even the market leader is in the midst of hard times,
> due to a
> poor choices. (Spinning off the software subsidiary, pre-announcing products
> months in advance that kicked the feet out from under sales of products of the
> shelves; a lack of any real product innovation.)

But, how many portable MP3 players are in the market today or were available
half an year ago? Nevertheless iPod was launched and we saw Steve saying
that iPod was a really revolucionary product.

One can say that a MP3 Player that doubles as a portable FireWire HD and has
a smooth integration with iTunes is really impressive, but there are others
MP3 Players on the market that can handle more music than iPod and costing
much less.

Even with this "competitive market", Apple launched it's MP3 Player, and is
supporting the evolution of the product.

> Let's be realistic: apart from purchasing a company with an existing
> product and
> strong market share (which Apple has explored), what would be the point?

The point is that if Apple decides to launch a handheld device it has all
technological background & market knowledge to make it a winner.

Apple was able to upgrade the MP3 concept, imagine what it would implement
in a new handheld device.

Don't you believe that if a product like "iWalk" becomes a reality it would
become a serious contender in the handheld market? Everybody knew that it
was unreal but even then it made a *lot* of noise!

lpetroni