Re: [NTLK] A Blast from the Past (Somewhat OT)

From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 12:53:32 EST

>Well, given that the Newton isn't competing with Palm ... As the article
>states, and many have pointed out - the Newton is a fully functional mobile
>(hand-held) computer and not a simple organizer with some cool gee-whiz toy
>capability.

I'm not sure the different capabilities of the repective devices are
really the point
here. The Pocket PCs (or whatever they're calling them these days) are,
in some
respects, light years ahead of what the Palm OS can do, and fall under
that same
argument. But it's still considered to be all the same 'ol market.

 I own at least one of every Newton ever made - still use most
>of them for one thing or another. I also own a Palm 3 and a Palm 7x - I
>can't remember the last time I turned either one on.
>
>The recent activity among lots of groups regarding the 'possibility' of
>Apple producing a hand-held again should denote a strong interest to even
>those not terribly inclined to "good business sense"

You can't base a business plan on information from rumor sites and the
"obsessed"
segment of the market. I'm willing to believe that the company knows it's own
business better than I do, even if I don't always get the products I want
to see.

>Yeah, sure. According to what was written at the time, the Newton was killed
>at just the time that it would have become an income source - sales were
>actually on the increase. As to innovation ... I'll take that statement as
>your opinion. There has been little in the way of 'ground-breaking', or
>'breath-taking' in recent history. Cool products, yes; but mostly just
>repackaging and speed improvements.

The question of whether or not abandoning the Newton platform was a good and
necessary idea at the time is an old, old argument that only a few people
seem to
be able to discuss rationally, so we'll agree to disagree.

As far as product innovations: "cool" is half the battle won...but
there's much to be
said for stuff like a low-priced all-in-one consumer computer, consumer
portables
with better-than-average battery life, the first consumer computer with the
capabilities to burn DVDs, impressive consumer applications.

>We are rapidly approaching the 4th anniversary of the Newton's cancellation.
>To date there is still NOTHING that comes close. The ever-present demand
>for used Newtons (even during the present glut) should be somewhat of an
>indicator that what is 'new' isn't getting the job done. Even given today's
>current prices you can still get a modern palm setup for less than a used
>MP2k setup. Why then are so many people willing to spend more on
>(so-called) orphaned and dead technology ??? I would submit because there
>is a NEED for it.

I'm not sure I'd use the activity of this list as an indicator of demand.
I think most of
that is serving established MP owners who are still hoping for something,
anything,
to do what the MessagePad does with the simplicity it does it with. (Like
me.) That
in itself doesn't represent a large audience.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net