Re: [NTLK] Found an H1000

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 16:24:08 EST

David wrote:
> I've found a messaagepad H1000 in a box at a garage
> sale. I got it for 10$.=20
<snip>
> I would like to know what a newton can do in this
> state (can it function to the level of a palm or
> handspring).

        Assuming you get the battery thing sorted out, an H1000 is
actually a pretty capable machine. I carried various Palms around for a
couple of years before I bought an MP100 (an H1000 with NOS 1.3) on a
lark. I ended up forgoing the Visor Deluxe I had in favor of the MP.
Sure the handwriting recognition isn't up to NOS 2.1 standards, and it
doesn't have very much memory, but you can keep notes (with sketches),
contacts, dates, and to-do lists on it. The various apps interact much
nicer than Palm apps do (do an assist on "Lunch with Corey tomorrow at
Black Pearl", and it will find Corey and Black Pearl in the names soup,
and link the appointment to them). The easter eggs are cooler, too (do
an assist on "Find Elvis"). Small linear flash cards are cheap, too, and
will extend the utility of it a great deal (my MP100, completely wiped
clean, has someting like 150 Kb of memory). Get a 2 or 4MB card for it
and carry it around with you.

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 197:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and
swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club
him with a gun will be summarily executed.