Re: [NTLK] $150 Newtons

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 11:30:03 EST

On 05/02/02 11:23, "Andrew Diller" <dillera_at_sudanacid.com> wrote:

> Hi I got one of these. Since this is my first 2x00 newton with the wierd
> serial cable I didn't realize that the one that came was non-standard. What
> is different about the ones coming from mr2hand and the 'regular' serial
> cable?
>
> I would agree that my newton is a tad on the 'well worn' side, but I am
> very very happy with it.
>
> --On Tuesday, February 05, 2002 12:19 AM -0800 Michael Bain
> <UIDnt0102_at_macboy.homeip.net> wrote:
>
>> I dunno, from the no-name flash cards, the funky Interconnect <--> PC
>> Serial cable, and well worn stylii, my theory is that some company

Andrew,

What do you mean, the "weird serial cable"? It should be a pretty
straightforward serial cable. The odd thing with a stock MP2x00 is that you
have to use an adapter, called the "interconnect" adapter, or the infamous
"dongle" in order to use your regular serial cable with an MP2x00. Unless
you have a special serial cable that comes with the interconnect plug?

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.