Re: [NTLK] Just need a rant...

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 16:26:19 EST

Salutations,

  Well they could have been selling briskly. Steve just could have been
trying to keep a developer.

  Briskly really is a general term. AOL was adding users briskly but it
wasn't until they added windows support (AOL used to be Mac only) and were
aided by the internet that they finally turned a profit, after a decade of
losing money.

  Amazon has been selling books briskly at a loss. After years of losing
money they finally turn a small profit.

  Apple was in such bad financial/product/OS shape they had to stop the
bleeding right then and there. Unfortunately, the newton wasn't making a
profit or probably turning one within the next few months.

  I hated to see Apple axe the Newton. I remember prices going UP on them
right after they were dropped. I remember calling Fry's from work (in VA)
when I saw dealmac posting that they had some for sale. And I had no way of
getting it shipped from CA, but I was going to try.

  But if the Newton's sacrifice meant that Apple had funds to create the
iMac/OS X/iBook/the whole iSeries of applications/iPod/B&W G3s/Graphite
G4s/Quicksilver G4s and every other Apple innovation that has arrived since
then I agree with Steve's decision.

  Apple is more important than the Newton.

  I just wish they would release a fix for the 61 error. :)

Cheers,
David