Re: [NTLK] MP2100 -> Airport Mac Connection?

From: mark d smith (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 12:08:02 EST

> I've been an inattentive lurker for quite some time now but have
> finally acquired a MP2100 from Mr2ndHand off ebay.
>
> From what I've seen in the FAQs, installing software on this Newt
> involves using Newton Connection Utility (I think) and a serial cable
> to the Mac upon which the software has been downloaded.
>
> What does one do when one has a new Mac that doesn't have the older-
> style Mac serial port? The FAQ seemed to indicate that using the IR
> port is iffy at best (or, perhaps, downright tricky?).
>
> I've got a TiBook with IR and Airport connection, and a new
> Quicksilver G4 tower on the Airport network as well. I can't use a
> Newton modem to dial into my ISP because I have a cable modem.
>
> I would be grateful for any suggestions anyone can offer. Do I read
> correctly that a previous post had information on using some sort of
> airport-like card to connect to an airport network?

I'm by no means the expert on this but your best bet might be a USB
Serial adapter (e.g. the Keyspan USB-PDA adapter) and NCU (Newton
Connection Utilities) via OS 9 or via Classic under OS X. (If you go
down this latter route you should install the OS9 drivers for the
adapter in your "Classic environment" system folder but do not install
the OS X drivers.)

It seems that by downgrading your airport software you may be able to
get a wireless connection under OS 9 if you get the right type of
wirless card for your Newton but this does not work under OS X or with
the newest Airport software. (I could be wrong but I think the same
goes for Ethernet/AppleTalk.) In any case, you still have to get the
drivers for the card (wireless or ethertalk) onto the Newt so this
brings us back to the USB-Serial adapter solution which doesn't require
anything special on the Newt side and works under OS 9 or in Classic
under OS X.

I've had no luck with IrDA and a TiBook but maybe it ought to work with
one of the other connection packages ?

mark