Re: [NTLK] Has anyone played with Newtonlink yet?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 15:37:32 EST

On 06/02/02 15:22, "Jim Anderson" <jiman_at_microsoft.com> wrote:

> <Off Topic>
> How do you like your Pismo? I've been wanting to get some sort
> of Powerbook to do more Newton programming and I've been seeing them
> (Pismos) on ebay for reasonable amounts of money, lately.
> </Off Topic>

They're really nice. Not too heavy. Comparing to my previous Wallstreet (1st
generation of black PowerBook, or PowerBook G3 Series) however, it feels a
bit more fragile. It's really slightly faster than my Wallstreet.
Objectively, it's really hard to tell. My Wallstreet was a 300 MHz PPC G3
and the Pismo I now have is a 400 MHz PPC G3. Under OS X, though, everything
is more snappier, probably because the ATI Rage Mobility in the Pismo is
fully supported by OS X, which is not the case with the Wallstreet and its
RageLTPro (Apple is actually sued over that issue).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. It's about 2 lbs less than my
Wallstreet, 1/2 inch thinner and does more. The best part is that after I
sold my Wallstreet and all associated equipment I did collect over the last
year or so, I've got enough money to buy the Pismo!

-Laurent.

evil and rude adj.: Both evil and rude, but with the additional connotation
that the rudeness was due to malice rather than incompetence. Thus, for
example: Microsoft's Windows NT is evil because it's a competent
implementation of a bad design; it's rude because it's gratuitously
incompatible with Unix in places where compatibility would have been as easy
and effective to do; but it's evil and rude because the incompatibilities
are apparently there not to fix design bugs in Unix but rather to lock
hapless customers and developers into the Microsoft way. Hackish evil and
rude is close to the mainstream sense of `evil'.