Re: [NTLK] [OFF-Topic] Small World

From: Samuel Jacobson (jacobson98_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 09:53:00 EST

Everyone,

  Please, this issue needs to stop. Although there is a lot that can and
should be said this is not the forum for doing so. And, further, the gross
generalizations that are being espoused are not only inappropriate but
hurtful to both sides. For example not all Americans believe that our
government should be, rightly or wrongly, the Watchdogs of the World. Yet,
conversely, some people in other countries need to have longer memories
than they indicate and recall the good that the U.S. has actually done such
as step-up in World War II when, for the most part, the U.S. looked to stay
neutral (albeit we were forced into the War).

  Does the U.S. make mistakes? Yes. Does U.S. foreign policy need to be a
bit more far-sighted? I feel so. But then I do not off hand know of any
government that is holistic in their views and has the entire World's best
interest at heart. Thus, from what I have seen, all governments need to be
less self-serving and therefore more far-sighted. Are the entire World's
problems due to the actions of the U.S.? Absolut non! For example if anyone
truly thinks that the Middle East would be a region of sanity and harmony
if the U.S. and Israel were not there is not being logical, rational, and
honest.

  Every person, and moreover every government, needs to grow up and begin
to become less selfish and certainly less inclined to nepotism. However in
order to do this every one of us, including our governments, must take
responsibility for their actions and begin to selflessly love others as
well as themselves. ALL of us and our governments have issues and actions
to be ashamed of. Until such time that a Government can demonstrate true
and honest selflessness, and without pretense find it within themselves to
have the interest of others as well as themselves truly at heart, then any
attack of the wrong-doing of the U.S. government rings hollow.

  Please act maturely, everyone.

Peace and love,

Sam J.

Always remember, "Ad astra per aspera"...

email:
      jacobson98_at_earthlink.net
      or
      sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu

Lab. Telephone (via Dr. Susan Bell): 813-974-5420

SnailMail:
     Department of Biology
     University of South Florida
     SCA 110