Re: [NTLK] answer to Denis

From: Anton Balaban (antonbal_at_mail.ru)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 10:24:58 EST

> From: Denis Krasnov <dkrasnov_at_nyc.rr.com>

> Thank you Anton

You are welcome :)

> Your newton site is an enormous help and I am sure that I am not alone
> saying this.

Oh, well, thanks for the compliments. I made this site because I could not
find anything useful about Newton in the Russian area of Internet. Even
www.newton.ru is now almost dead and does not contain much useful info. By
the way, there's going to be a big update on my site very soon, it's
dedicated to russification of MP2k Newtons (as I bought one only recently).

> I think it should be put to a vote, is newtontalk list a proper place to
> further discuss questions specific to Russian enabled newtons or should
> we
> go to russiannewton list.

I think we'd better go to the Russian list because there we'll be able to
talk in our native language (and not disturb newtontalk list members with
mysterious messages they cannot read). And the second reason is that
russiannewton list is rather quiet now (although last time I checked there
were 17 or 18 subscribers), so we can fill it with some content :)

> PS. Anton, you mentioned that you are quite adroit with making newton
> books
> in russian, is there a place where I can find any of those, or should we
> maybe start such a place up ?

Yes, I've made a lot of books. In fact, one of the main uses of Newton for
me is reading electronic books. But they are all made in different formats -
 when I had MP120 I made books with a large bold font (bacause of lack of
backlight on this unit), when I got 130 font size went smaller, and now I
make books for a big MP2k screen (well, in fact I've only made one big book
for MP2k so far, with Akutagawa short stories). Some of the books are
rather ugly because I was not very experienced with making them. If you are
still interested, I can send you a list of my books where you pick ones of
your interest (but bear in mind that most of them are in MP120-130 format).
And if you'll manage to start a website where people can submit their
books I won't complain, of course :) I don't have plans to do it at
newt.nm.ru so far, because web-hosting at nm.ru is very poor and I just
don't have enough time and web-design skills.

PS I'm on a digest, so my replies are a bit late.

Anton Balaban