Re: [NTLK] Manipulation of stats

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 09:32:37 EST

I did it on OS/2 Warp 4 5 years ago (minus the MP3's, obviously), with
64 mb of RAM and a Pentium 75, back in the days when Windows machines
were still trying to cope with getting the keyboard _and_ the monitor
going at the same time.

I did it on the same machine with S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 two years later,
and by that time the hardware specs weren't even sufficient for current
Windows releases anymore.

I now run SuSE (Yes, the dots have disappeared over time) Linux 7.2 on
an AMD 1kHz with 512 mb of RAM, and the swap partition hasn't been
accessed once in six months. It is my understanding that, while 512 mb
is sufficient for Windows XP, it will still swap (and hence slow down
the machine) with that amount of RAM. (I'm not comparing Windows 9x/ME
here, since they're basically DOS with sprinkles on, and it wouldn't be
fair to put them side by side with 32-bit operating systems).

Windows, in whatever incarnation, is a textbook example of bad
programming gone haywire. That said, it appears that Apple, with OSX, is
learning from Microsoft really fast these days.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)