Re: [NTLK] Computer purchases by dumpster

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 02:17:17 EST

Here's a mental image for you:
A Jaguar XJ6 parked next to the curb with its flashers on (on the day
that the students leave for the summer), while my brother (clad in
torn shorts, a raggedy t-shirt, and in need of a shave) picks his way
through a pile of trash and triumphantly pulls out a small fan. The
contrast between the car and my brother with the fan was hilarious.

We also get our Christmas tree from the students. For some reason,
they all buy trees, and then throw them out when they go home for the
break. We got an excellent tree for free that was much better than
what was offered for sale locally. Of course, the bulletin that a
member of my immediate family put in the newspaper about how the
trees are a fire hazard if left unattended for a couple of weeks
helps increase the selection. :c)

-James

>In my medical center, the IT guys went hogwild for the Intel/MS platform and
>have been trying to freeze out Macs for some 5 years. I always look at what
>people toss. I brought home a very useable LaserWriter II. jf
>In a message dated 2/9/02 6:26:46 PM, rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com writes:
>
><<
>Dang! If that were near me, I'd have been on that faster than you
>can say "Hey you, get out of the dumpster!" But then again, I live
>in a place where trash-picking is a way of life for cheapskates who
>like computers. The local university throws out working stuff all of
>the time. In order to avoid paperwork, they just write BAD on the
>side and toss it in the trash. I've come upon many a good ethernet
>dongle, thanks to this.
>
>-James >>

The James Elliott Newton Site:
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
All work and no play makes James a dull boy and prevents this week's update.