Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 12:23:47 EST

On 2/9/02 5:00 AM, "Joel M. Sciamma" <joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

> Look folks,
>
> The issue of whether OS X works or not is missing the point. A Boeing 707
> =B3works=B2, as does a vinyl record and Commodore PET. OS X is old, ancient, a
> relic. It belongs in a museum. It=B9s born of legacy thinking based on legacy
> technology and the interface is demonstrably incompetent. Unlike previous
> developments that have emanated from Apple, OS X advances the art of
> computing (from the point of view of the user) in no significant way - othe=
> than perhaps being a bit more stable.

Extremely more stable. As a heavy Mac user, running a lot of different apps
(some beta) in a variety of different environments, I was used to crashing,
or at least having to reboot daily, or even several times a day.

Since I moved up to OS X, my computer stays up weeks, or even months between
reboots.

Saying OS X is a bit more stable is like saying a truck is a little heavier
than a moped.

And that definitely advances the art of computing from the point of view of
this user.

I also find that as I use OS X more and more I am able to work much more
efficiently than I did in OS 9. It takes a little getting used to, but that
doesn't make it worse, just different.

Loren