[NTLK] Bible on Newt [was NIV]

From: DJFIRTH_at_aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 23:22:21 EST

>IIRC it stopped being 'offered' directly due to the rights holder's request
>of Mr. Fedor.

Probably didn't ask permission or the agreement ran out. Lots of folks think
that the Bible is a public domain document, which it is only in certain
circumstances. I'm not a lawyer, but what business ethics I was exposed to in
my MBA program (insert cheap shots here) did address copyright. The catch
being that while the Bible in original text is a public domain set of
documents, any specific modern translation is protected by copyright. The
KJV, for example, is public domain, though a specific rendition of it with
specific layout, notes, annotations etc. would be copyright protected and
distributable only under agreement.

You or I couldn't, therefore, type or scan in part or whole of the NIV w/o
permission. There's usually an exclusion for some nominal amount of text for
research purposes and there's fair use exclusions but none of that helps in
our situation.

Too bad about the NIV. It isn't my first pick for translation (I'm partial to
the NRSV) but I'd love to have either one on the Newton. ROM card would be
neat with text, concordance or other study aids.

---
                                    Thick fog lifts ---
David Firth                         unfortunately, I am where
djfirth_at_aol.com                 I thought I was

* haiku by George Swede