Re: [NTLK] DHCP program for Newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 01:34:19 EST

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:57:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>

> > We could be talking at cross-purposes here, but I know that my 2100
> > releases it's IP when I tell it to disconnect, I've seen it in my DHCP
> > logs :-) I can't speak to the rest of it's behavior as I don't generally
> > leave my newt online, and I've got pretty long leases on my LAN.
>
>Hrm. Maybe when Paul resurfaces he can talk about this. I could have
>sworn he mentioned this while generally mouthing off about how poor NIE
>is..

Michael's note is interesting. What happened is that I have been
having problems with my ISP's DHCP (I especially noticed several
times that the Newton lost its connection without any reason after a
long night, and when I closed and re-open the link, it got a new IP,
of course now that I know how good my ISP is, I wouldn't have think
the Newton was guilty), so I locally ran a DHCP with a lease set to 1
minute (I did not really wanted to wait), and the Newton did not
renew it for sure, as the server quickly said: "expired". I don't
exactly recall not seeing it release it, though, but I think that I
deduced that from the code.

Now that I jumped again in the code, there is a native driver
underlying, it is loaded at link connection and released at link
disconnection. It might release the lease when it is disposed or
renew it using a native idler to be told when to do that, but I
haven't seen any idling script from the Newton.

When I'll have time, I'll redo tests or I'll just look into the
native driver. Now my Newton is connected with a static IP, so I'm
less concerned about this, but when we'll have a wireless card driver
working with this airport base, I will surely look into that.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has the time to make further tests, I'm
interested in the results.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/