Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 05:41:18 EST

Oliver ,

> I do not really get your point here - what is so bad about the programs you
> name? I myself sometimes encounter problems with AppleWorks, but usually
> because I never spent any time "getting to know it". Anyway, comparing it
> with MS Office makes AW look like a gift from above.

You must be kidding me! AppleWorks 6 has to be one of the true horrors of UI
design. Layer upon layer of different paradigms like archeological strata
fight for dominance over a piece of kernal code that has not changed for 5
years because no one can be bothered to look at the source code.

The number of errors in the design and the UI takes pages to document and is
universally ridiculed even by people who liked AW before.

> Regarding the GUI, it is all a matter of getting to know it, and to accept
> that some things may work a little different. I have the impression that
> things work in a more integrated, fluent way.

I don't mind difference but I do mind logical non-sequiteurs, poor
observation, inconsistency, hidden information and lots of clicking.

> And we should not forget that OSX is all new, it did not evolve within 15
> years.

This really is the point, it's not new. A 30 year-old technology supporting
a 10 year-old UI paradigm. That Apple of all companies are making basic
blunders in the UI is unforgivable givien the history they have. Had MS
released OS X we might have moaned a bit that certain things were missing
but they would have gotten away with it. For Apple to do so indicates to me
that they are not interested.

Joel.