Re: [NTLK] [OT] Looking for cheap ISP

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:27:44 EST

>Slightly off-topic, but with the number of people on the go here, accessing
>remotely their email with their Newton, I thought I should ask....
>I currently access the internet through the cable. I'll be traveling this
>coming Thursday for a few days to Quebec City, in Canada. I'd like to be
>able to check my emails, among other things, on my PowerBook, but I might
>also use my MP2100 if I can't easily setup and use my PowerBook.
>
>So, I'm looking for suggestion on an ISP that will allow me to dial in and
>get access to my mail. It doesn't have to include some disk space on the
>ISP's servers, just a local phone number for access.

www.uunet.net- global dialup numbers, PPP works great with the Newt. I
posted about this perhaps a month ago, on the list.

In fact, depending on who your cable ISP is/was (with the buyout it's
changed) yo may have access to this already, and not know it. ATT had a
deal with UUNet, they called it "Mobile Access". As an ATT/roadrunner (or
affiliate) customer, you got 2 hrs free access per month on uunet dialups.
You activate this by going to the ATT broadband support pages, and looking
for the "mobile access" links. So, if you have an account on the ATT
system, you can still go into the ATT support pages, find the Mobile Access
activation page, and turn it on without calling a real person, even. Until
Feb 28th. Those links were there as of a week ago, anyway.

My personal experience related to this:
My "first" cable company, Mediaone.net was Roadrunner service, and is now
Comcast which now also holds the ATT networks :) :) (but I'm sure there's
no monopoly law violated...) anyway Feb 28th, the UUNet account I set up
(for free) via mediaone/ATT, is supposedly going away. Until then, I have
access to the uunet dialups. I'm going to a university in Cuernavaca at
the end of the month and am pleased to see 2 local dialups there, and I'm
hoping that it will work fine. Serious computer geek factor here (phrasing
picked just for Tom :) SMTP and POP worked fine with both the mediaone and
comcast mail servers; SMTP could be a problem if you have an ISP who only
allows relay for clients connecting from its own subnet, of course.

I have tested the uunet access by trying the local Ann Arbor, MI dialup
numbers. Be sure, when at the UUNet pages, to write down the DNS IPs they
use, if you don't know already you will find that the Newton needs the DNS
specified manually for use with the PPP connect. If you don't add them by
hand, you're in trouble.

The URL for uunet is www.uunet.com; if Comcast does not get around to
adding this "feature" back to the cable service, I think I will look into a
minimal account with uunet. They have many many local numbers, both in the
US and internationally, a couple hours of access per month would be all you
really need for email-only dialups. The Mobile Access group from the
Comcast phone support say that the "2 hrs uunet per month" feature WILL
reappear sometime after Feb 28th, but they are getting the rest of the
email switched over, first. We shall see.

HTH.

BTW I'm on digest mode now, and it has advantages....

Brian