Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 15:15:52 EST

Loren,

> Well, you are welcome to your opinion. I suggest you switch to windows if
> you feel that way.

I don't know - would I notice the difference? Platform switch costs are
about the same...

> Since you clearly do not share those feelings, I am certainly not going to try
> to make you change your mind.

Sure you can, just give me reasons that would not have been valid 10 or even
20 years ago. Not much has changed since then except cost. I am deeply
susceptible to rational argument and analysis.

When people get hot under the collar about challenges to the status quo, one
just knows it's the right direction. An example.

Back in the early 80's I was looking to buy a bicycle but all the road bikes
I tried looked the same and felt as bad as each other. What I really wanted
was a bike with suspension but when I asked for it people laughed in my
face. Suspension? Ridiculous. Pointless complexity, energy sapping - not for
the professionals.

Then I rode a Moulton AM and it was like riding a velvet covered I-beam.
Stiff, light, full suspension - fantastic. It took another decade before
mountain bikes thumbed their noses at the traditionalists and brought
cycling into the modern age.

Apple did that twice, once with the Mac and then with the Newt. In
comparison X is just a memory management bug fix.

You know, if we are really lucky and we push for it, in ten to fifteen years
time Mac OS 8/9/X and Win 3.1/98/2000/XP will appear indistinguishable in
the rear view mirror and we will be sumgly amused that computing was ever
done that way.

The only difference between us is that I am saying it now and you will say
it then.

Joel.