Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: mark d smith (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:16:20 EST

>> The classic Mac OS had its issues, but Mac OS X fails
>> to address those, except that it offers preemptive multitasking and
>> memory protection, like any modern OS does. And it does this by
>> adopting the legacies of another, even older OS.

I'd be interested to hear which "issues" you think existed in classic
Mac OS which are not addressed in OS X. (Genuine Question)

In addition to pre-emptive multitasking and memory protection, MacOS X
offers improvements over classic MacOS in:

- networking (we know about the exceptions here)
- all things Java related
- all things multi-user related
- all things OpenGL related
- multiple (parallel) processing
- 2D graphics
- development
- scripting
- availability of open source software
- stability

Apart from some instances of poor performance in the Finder (sure to be
fixed), pretty hefty RAM requirements (RAM is cheap) and the fact that
some older machines are not fully supported (we can't have everything
can we ?), what's left to complain about ?

- The look and feel ? Well, its not my favourite either but plenty of
folks seem to love it.

- The absence of some of the better little extras which gradually
evolved in classic MacOS (extensive contextual menus, spring loaded
folders, pop-up folders etc.) ? Yes, but if the rumours are to be
believed (big qualifier) then these are all coming soon.

- A new file system ? Yes.
- A new application binding system ? Yes
- The fact that it does not represent a massive step forward and a
completely new OS paradigm ? Oh come on.

mark.