Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 23:47:52 EST

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply.

>Pushing the boat out and trying to really get to grips
>with fundamental usability issues has dropped off the
>agenda.

I remember the switch to 7 from 6. For me, as soon as I found out that
my computer would work with 7, I was there. Sure it was bigger and
slower in some regards. However, it gave me so much more capability at
the time.

I really like OS 9. X is different for sure. I am allot more
comfortable with 9 for sure. However, it wasn't until I saw X on a 22
inch display, that I began to like the new finder and the way the X works.

X is made for the future, and the new hardware that we will see down the
road.

>The Newton is a very well crafted and studied system with
>a very good UI.

No arguments here!

>The second reason is that there is no evidence that Apple
>are spending money on the kind of basic research that gave
>us the UI for the original Mac & Newton. This kind of
>research is expensive and SJ feels it's not cost effective.

The market is dictating that margins must be smaller.

When margins get smaller, R&D can suffer.

>There is very little possibility that a future PDA will
>not be based on an existing system such as OS X or Palm
>- SJ has stated in the clearest terms that Macintosh is
>the only OS that Apple will develop.

What would be wrong with a tablet or sub tablet device running X with a
modified GUI adopted for the pen interface. And that they will be able
to run all of your desktop applications. No longer will you need to buy
an application for the desktop and then another one for the tablet
computer.

IBM's new device illustrates a neat solution. You have one device that
has everything you need (Hardware, Software and Files). You plug it into
what you need it to be, say a table device or a desktop device. Another
solution would be a tablet computer, which plugs into a docking station
on your desk.

There is nothing more frustrating that showing up to give a presentation
and finding out that you don't have the file or application that you need.

In some ways, I hate the Mac in this regard. I really really hate it!

I have three Mac's networked at home. And over time, different apps have
been installed on different Macs. But the darn Macs are so transparent,
that if I need Shrinkwrap for example, and the Mac that I am on doesn't
have it installed, the darn Mac goes out and searches my network for it.
Then launches the program as if it is on the Mac that I am using. This
happens so seamlessly that in many cases I don't know that it's happened.

Then when I am making my presentation, I couldn't get the application to
launch. Yet, the night before everything worked so well.

The first time this happened to me, I was dumbfounded until I came home
and reconnected everything and the applications launched -- then it
dawned on me what I had done. Stupid me! It was embarrassing to say
the least.

>I state it again, the current Apple has neither the means
>or the desire to do a PDA from scratch and do it well.

I think that depends on one's definition of PDA. If a table (8.5x11) or
sub tablet (5.5x8.5) is considered a PDA, then I think Apple will do it
right for sure.

>However, Palm may well do a "scribblepad" that is very nice
>if it has HWR.

I don't know about you, but my handwriting improves on a device the size
of a Newt 2K vice a smaller Newt. I am left handed so that might have
something to do with it.

I have used the note pad on the Palm device. It is too hard to write
much other than a phone number and a name or other one or two word items.
 I've tried to write sentences and find the devices too small for me.
That is why Grafitti works so well on them.

Sushi