Re: [NTLK] MP100 and H0005 Fax Modem

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 13:32:17 EST

On 12/02/02 11:16, "Rui Curveira" <rui_at_interlog.com> wrote:

> Hi there I just joined the list and I must say, it is far more active than i
> thought it would be. Which is great!
> I was wondering if anyone knew or could point me to some info about the MP100
> and H0005 Fax Modem and their capabilities together. I understand that you can
> send faxes with the modem connected (but cannot receive faxes) What I was most
> curious about is if you can get regular (current day) email with this setup?
> It
> looks as though that is not possible but I just wanted clarification. I don't
> actually have the fax modem, but I am considering picking one up.

No, you can't. You could maybe, but there would be a lot of work and,
believe me, you don't want to get there. Better find a 130, or better yet, a
2100. They go for about $150-$200 on eBay these days and come with various
accessories. Then, you could think about email.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.