Re: [NTLK] Sell or hold

From: Sushi (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 00:03:43 EST

>On 2002/02/12, Rui Curveira wrote:
>
>Keep your Newt. You'll miss it when it's gone. I have
>many friends who have gone Palm. They all say the same
>thing. Why?

Wise words indeed.

As someone who when to the Palm for a couple of years, and has returned to the Newton, I can tell you, that you will miss the Newt. I missed it dearly.

Sometimes I do a sanity check, and hold the Palm and Newt side by side. I just end up chuckling to myself.

My jump to the Palm was in reaction to Apple's cancelation of the Newt and my concern over data accessability. Since I did backups to my desktop, I was worried that if I lost my Newt, I would never be able to access my data. At the time I was traveling extensively. Prices were going up quickly for the remaining Newts. Based on all this, I decided to change platforms.

Now that I have a couple of Newts, that worry is gone. I no long care if my Newt is broken or lost since I have all of my data backed up. Actually I do care, but am not worried about the data loss like before.

During my Palm stint, I enjoyed learning about Palm and using the device. The Palm's interface is pretty good, after all it should be as there were numerous Apple programmers on the development team.

Right now if I had to go back to the Palm, I would go for the new Sony Clie. It's small, color, has a 320x320 screen, and works well. One of these days, I imagine that Sony will follow Handera's lead and make one that is 320x480 with a colapsable Grafitti area.

Right now, I am happy with the Newt and it's super HWR capability.

If nothing else, keep your Newt, and years down the road you can fire it up and see what data you had entered. BTW, when I came back to the Newt after 2 years, all my data/apps were still there as I left it. Nothing was missing. Sure can't say that about the Pocket PC or Palm devices.

Sushi