Re: [NTLK] OT test 2

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:48:20 EST

>I'm having the same problem as everyone else, and I am using OS X's
>mail.app... which is supposedly very good at handling international
>characters. Maybe it is the listserv that strips the characters out, but
>they why could I see them in the first message of this thread?

The so-called weird character triplets are QP characters.
Some mail agent software encode message bodies in QP to be sure that
everything is in 7 bits. It says it does so in the message envelope.

The version of Listar/eCartis running NewtonTalk unfortunately
removes this information in the envelope under some conditions (not
the case with NPDS & NewtonFr mailing lists), so your mail agent does
not decode the triplets.

Here is an example (normally, I post in 8 bits to mailing lists)
=E9=E0=E8=E7.

Now, about OS X mail.app, it's not what I would call a good mail
agent. It apparently ignores the signature marker and transforms it.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/