Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 16:56:51 EST

On Tue 12 Feb 2002 Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:

> > - all things Java related
>
> Nothing to do with Mac OS X, really. You will remember when Apple killed
> OpenDoc, justifying this decision by declaring they would use Java
> instead? And how no-one was able to see the connection between OpenDoc
> and Java, and how one could be a replacement for the other (JavaBeans, I
> know, but still ...)? Anyway, what really happened was that Java support
> under Mac OS came to a standstill. For years, Apple neglected Java

IIRC, IBM dropped OpenDoc b/c OS/2 got "phased out" (politespeak for "killed by Microsoft ") and nobody could come up with a reliable way to run an 00 application platform on Windows. It's interesting to hear Apple's excuse.

OpenDoc really rocked on my Warp 4 workstation.

Sometimes I have wet dreams about a Newton-like device, built on OpenDoc foundations.
Karel Jansens
kareljansens@ tiscalinet.be