Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 10:39:26 EST

When I "left" OS/2 (its cult followers are even more religeous than
Newties <G>) for linux, OS/2 was on so-called 'maintainance support':
IBM - sort of - guaranteed that, for a yearly fee, they would provide
their fortune 500 OS/2 customers with updated driver support.

And of course there was the miracle story of Serenity Systems who
licensed Warp 4 from IBM and released it as eComStation (bundled with
several goodies, a.w. Lotus SmartSuite/2).

I really hated having had to drop OS/2, because its user interface was
unarguably the best available for workstations, and even - taken into
account the hardware limitations of the Intel PC platform - the best
possible for that architecture. It really was like having OpenDoc on
your entire computer: Everything in the WorkPlace Shell was an object
with rules and methods and inheritance and whatnot attached.

One juicy example: OS/2 has a system colour palette, which is used to
select colours for the WPS. But you could select a colour from the
palette, drag it to _any_ WPS-aware window (say the DeScribe word
processor), drop it on a part of that window (titlebar, border,
whatever) and see the colour change immediately. The system font palette
behaved in the same way. And those were only cosmetic applications. And
I did all that in 1994 with a 25 mHz 486sx w/ 16 MB of RAM!

OS/2's only trouble was that it was marketed by IBM in the nineties <G>.

Joe Anthenat wrote:

> Were you aware that IBM is supporting OS/2 again?... just curious...

> >> Nothing to do with Mac OS X, really. You will remember when Apple
> >> killed
> >> OpenDoc, justifying this decision by declaring they would use Java
> >> instead? And how no-one was able to see the connection between OpenDoc
> >> and Java, and how one could be a replacement for the other
> >> (JavaBeans, I
> >> know, but still ...)? Anyway, what really happened was that Java
> >> support
> >> under Mac OS came to a standstill. For years, Apple neglected Java
> >>

> > IIRC, IBM dropped OpenDoc b/c OS/2 got "phased out" (politespeak for
> > "killed by Microsoft ") and nobody could come up with a reliable way to
> > run an 00 application platform on Windows. It's interesting to hear
> > Apple's excuse.
> >
> > OpenDoc really rocked on my Warp 4 workstation.
> >
> > Sometimes I have wet dreams about a Newton-like device, built on
> > OpenDoc foundations.
> > Karel Jansens
> > kareljansens@ tiscalinet.be
> >
> > --
> >

> Joe Anthenat ><>
>
> "Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the
> Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln
>
> --

Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)