Re: [NTLK] Need a little help - software for MP120

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 08:32:02 EST

--- IMNewtMan_at_aol.com wrote:

> I just acquired a MP120 (2MB Version w/ NOS 1.3) for
> my growing Newton collection! Now it has been awhile
> since I last had a 120 so I figured I would ask what
> software I should look for. I have already loaded

There are a couple great resources for NOS 1.3 software in general.

The Michigan State Palmtop Users Group hosts an "old" FAQ:
<http://amug.org/amug/sigs/newton/nwtfaq.html.txt>
that has much description of NOS 1.05 to 1.3, and a nice list of apps and
what they do for you, and good tips about getting the most from NOS 1.x.
Hey I live almost near those guys now.

ftp.amug.org has a newton directory with 1.3 stuff separate from 2.x stuff
in each category.

and you can browse the dbase I put on the web for apps that are 1.x
capable, just specifiy 1.x in the OS version field of a search. It's
pretty complete for 1.x stuff, not as complete for 2.x stuff.
<http://bmcewen.home.dyndns.org/ENUF.html>

I don't recall a freeze util for 1.x, but it certainly could have used one!
and I'm a little surprised if it isn't in the OS 1.3, but it looks like it
might not be. You can still use Heapmagic (maybe) or Heapsaver (for sure)
to unload a part of each package's store that you don't need sitting
around; getting 10 or 20k heap back that way makes a huge difference on a
1.3 machine.

HTH.

Brian