Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 09:53:37 EST

Bradford Schmidt wrote:

> On 2/15/2002 at 4:39 PM Karel Jansens wrote:
>
> >When I "left" OS/2 (its cult followers are even more religeous than
> >Newties <G>) for linux, OS/2 was on so-called 'maintainance support':
>
> This is a funny thread - I have a spare pc and was just thinking how fun it=
> would be to run Warp 4 on it. Sadly, it costs too much money for just=
> fun. But I loved Warp 3 in its day.
>
> BTW - what distro of linux do you run? I'm a slack fan (mostly because I=
> prefer FreeBSD to linux personally) but am considering running hat.

I started with a freebie handout of Caldera's OpenLinux Lite (IIRC in
'97), but I later switched to S.u.S.E. Linux Office Suite 99 (based on
their 5.3 distro bundled with Applix Office) and I have basically stuck
with SuSE (even after they dropped the dots <G>) and these days I run
7.2 Personal. I tried a couple of versions of Mandrake, but I have never
liked the lack of control of that distro, same for Corel's distro. There
were some others, but SuSE is the only one that has managed to stay on
my desktop for more than a couple of weeks.

As for Warp 4: I think it can be had rather cheaply on eBay these days.
And do check out Serenity, they deliver some pretty good bang for the
buck: You get an updated version of Warp 4 with an extensive offer of
quality applications for the price of a high-end linux distro. I'd go
for it, if I hadn't already Warp 4 and aforementioned applications
sitting on my shelves.

Come to think of it, the main reason I ditched Warp was because my old
pc had only 4 gig of disk space. This new monster has 40 gigs spinning
around, mostly doing nuffink. I might dust off my disks and plunk Warp
on again (if you want to do it, remember that the original installation
disks of Warp 4 (NOT Serenity's eComStation!) are incapable of handling
modern large disks. An update is available, but I forget where -
probably on Hobbes).

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)