Re: [NTLK] wireless

From: Brent Bell (brent_at_vividgroup.com)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 16:49:37 EST

Doppler,

In answer to your earlier question about wireless to the PC, and for
everyone else's information - I have been using a Proxim wireless setup
for a while and I thought it was time to let everyone know some of my
discovery's.

I discovered that the Proxim works fine in my accelerated Newton 2100!
I have set up a gateway with wireless ISA wireless card's in PC's at
home, and at work - so I have wireless Internet and Email in both
places.

When I accelerated my Newton I did not have switch available, I am using
only a 5.00 MHz crystal running @ 218.925 MHz. So, left without serial
capability - I have been doing some experimenting. I have been able to
connect to my PC via newtVNC , Newton Data Browser , and Basilisk II
with NCU. I am doing my first successful and regular backups in years
(in minutes compared to hours)! I am able to do everything using the
wireless - and with an accelerated 2x00!

Using a keyboard with the Newton has always been a pain because of the
short cable and dongle - but now I can use my wireless keyboard to type
on the wireless Newton - it's great! Running newtVNC wirelessly is very
handy to control my home automation system, or to operate an MP3 player
on the PC - and the faster speed makes it refresh so much quicker! I
have even set one of my accelerated Newton's as a wireless web server
now - I just need to figure out how to route the traffic from my DSL
connection to the newt with Windows XP! I can access it locally without
a problem and it is working well - I will post a message when it is
accessible via the web.

My next big challenge is to get the new iTunes plug-in to work via
wireless, but since I think that Mac OS 9.0 will not work with Basilisk
yet I will have to wait for the Windows client I guess.

I did have some problems with setting the wireless connection up at
first, but once set up I find it more reliable than my Farallon card!
The problems were mainly because the card that was supposed to work in
the Newton worked only in the PC for me (I have a notebook PC also), and
the card for the PC works in the Newton? I would really like to hear
from anyone else that has set up the Proxim wireless to find out what
model #, Link Version, and ROM version their cards have so that we can
build a list of cards that work in the Newton - send me email offline. I
am trying to set up an info page on this so that it is easier for other
people to set it up.

Brent